Grand Canyon Defense Proudly Serves
Clients Throughout Arizona.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Criminal Defense Overview
  4.  » Expungements/Set Asides

Getting Out From Under A Criminal Record In Arizona

A criminal conviction can haunt you for the rest of your life. Even after you have done your time and completed your sentence, you may still have a misdemeanor or felony record, which is public information. Those records will show up on background checks and can limit your opportunities for employment, housing, education and professional licensure.

Fortunately, there is a way to get out from under many criminal records. Arizona law establishes a process for setting aside a judgment. It is similar to an expungement in that it reduces the negative impact of a conviction, but unlike an expungement, it will not erase those records from public view. However, it will show that the conviction was vacated. And for felony offenses, a set-aside can restore your civil rights such as the ability to carry and own a firearm.

Explore Your Options For Setting Aside A Criminal Judgment

If you are interested in exploring the possibility of a set-aside, contact Grand Canyon Defense. The firm’s attorney, David Moore, is a former prosecutor who understands the intricacies of Arizona’s criminal laws, including set-asides. He can advise you on your options for achieving freedom from a damaging criminal record. Based in Scottsdale, he works with clients statewide as well as people who live out of state but have criminal records in Arizona.

Who Can Quality For A Set-Aside?

Not all criminal convictions are eligible for set-asides in Arizona. For example, you cannot set aside convictions for violent offenses, sex crimes and offenses involving young victims.

Assuming your conviction qualifies, you must follow certain steps to secure a set-aside:

  • Satisfying the terms of your sentence, including successfully completing any probation period and any court-ordered treatment programs
  • Completing a waiting period (usually two years) for certain felony convictions
  • Filing a petition with the court in the county of your conviction

Put Your Criminal Record Behind You

Navigating the criminal justice system can be tricky – and the set-aside process is no different. Spare yourself the headaches and potential failure of attempting it alone. Lawyer David Moore at Grand Canyon Defense can help you put a troubling criminal record behind you.

To learn more, contact the firm online or call 602-844-4067.